Monday, March 8, 2010

What's for dinner?

That was the question I was asking myself this afternoon. Usually we try to have some kind of meal plan each week, taking advantage of the sales at the various stores around us, but we haven't actually done that the last couple of weeks. Between that and me spending most of the afternoon at my sister's house, I was kind of in a scramble come, oh, 4:15 this afternoon. Kinda late to get started, for the most part.

I knew that there were some good meat sales at the one food store closest to us, so we ran there on the way home from my sister's. That's when I saw the ground beef. And it spoke to me. Not literally. I would probably not only have not bought it, but would quite possibly have run from the store had it actually talked... Anyway, of all of the things I saw, ground beef was the one I wanted for tonight. Because we had a LOT of chicken last week. So, knowing we had some really good hoagie rolls at home, I decided we could make meatball parmesean hoagies.

By the time I made it home and put the rest of the groceries away, I had just enough time to throw together the meatballs and get them into the oven. It's a good thing that these come together so quickly! Rolling meatballs is not necessarily my favorite thing to do, and keeping little miss from helping me roll them is sometimes a challenge, but just in time, these were in the oven and we ran outside to play some catch and kickball.

Once the meatballs were cooked, it was a simple matter of smothering them with tomato sauce and shredded Italian cheeses, then popping them under the broiler for a minute or two and, viola! Dinner! Not too shabby, considering that I had no clue only an hour and a half before, huh?

This was the perfect quick dinner, and I purposely made a double batch of meatballs, for a completely different meal later on this week. Woohoo! Glad I am back to having a plan!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I always double my meatballs too, last week the hubby asked me to triple them, so that I could freeze some for another night (But they never made it to the freezer LOL)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails