Sunday, March 18, 2012

Chocolate Banana Sourdough Loaf

I wanted to do some sourdough baking this morning, but in order to do so, I needed to make sure that my starter was well fed. Which meant that I needed to feed my starter last night.

I don't like to actually discard my "discard" starter, so, well, I just had to find a quick recipe to bake last night, too!

A quick peek at my favorite listing of sourdough quick bread recipes gave me exactly what I was looking for - a chocolate sourdough quick bread!

I made a couple of minor changes, since I wanted to make it a teeny touch healthier... or... I really wanted to add in a banana.

I started by sifting (whisking) together my dry ingredients.


But, to brighten up the flavor a bit, once they were sifted together, I gave a good sprinkling of cinnamon over the top of them.

I then combined my wet ingredients. But instead of the quarter cup of oil that the recipe calls for, I mashed up a banana and used that.

I then folded the wet ingredients into the dry.


The batter was thicker than it was supposed to be, so I actually added an extra quarter cup of milk.

And then I added a healthy handful of chocolate chips.


The chocolate chips were so big and gooey that it was a bit tough for me to test the bread for done-ness (the toothpick always had chocolate on it!), so I may have over-baked it by a minute or two, but it looked and smelled so yummy when it came out of the oven.


I couldn't wait to cut into it. So the pictures are the best I could get, considering I took them at night by the light of the overhead kitchen light...


Let's just say that daddy said that this is his favorite way to eat a banana.

I'm thinking that this may be made every time the starter needs a feeding...


Chocolate Banana Sourdough Loaf
(slightly adapted from Smart Mama Sourdough)

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup sourdough starter
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9" x 5" loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder and cinnamon. Make a well in the center of the combined dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, combine the sourdough starter, mashed banana, milk, egg and vanilla.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, until the loaf tests done.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! I tried doing my starter... it just didn't work, at first it did but then it just didn't raise any more and I got frustrated...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mireia - keep at it!! If you still have it, try giving it another feed and see if it comes back to life. It won't always grow huge, but if it bubbles, you're in good shape. :) I promise you - sourdough starters are pretty resilient, and once they get started, they can live for a mighty long time, even when you think they're a goner... :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails