Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Chicken Fried Rice

I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday weekend! Barbecues, fireworks - what a great way to celebrate our country!

One of the meals that we had over the weekend involved a simple roasted chicken. Which is delicious. And yields lots of leftovers. There is no shortage of things that can be done with leftover chicken, and I actually usually look forward to the meals made from those leftovers as much as the original meal itself.

For tonight's dinner, my husband requested that we make chicken fried rice with our leftover chicken. I have never made fried rice before, since one of the main flavoring ingredients for "real" (ie: traditional) fried rice is oyster sauce, something that I cannot really justify buying, since I would not use it all that often. We decided, though, that we should not let the lack of this ingredient get in our way of trying something new.

I had an idea in my head as to how I thought I would prepare the dish, but looked up "chicken fried rice" on allrecipes.com anyway, just to see what other people have done. Most of the recipes that I looked at pretty much jived with what I had in mind, and looked like they would be simple and quick to prepare, so I was greatly encouraged. In case you are curious, I went with a combination of this recipe, this recipe and, well, my own recipe.

Aside from chopping the onion and chicken, this dish was so quick and easy. And even without oyster sauce, it actually tasted delicious and somewhat authentic! There's nothing like a quick, easy one-pan dish for dinner after a hot summer day. And it actually looked pretty good, too, if I do say so myself. I will definitely be making this again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails