Friday, September 23, 2011

Plum Cobbler

I have mentioned it before, but I kind of have a standard, go-to cobbler recipe. It's not a traditional cobbler, more like a fruit-and-cake-y kind of thing, but it is delicious, goes well with most fruits, and is super easy to make.

So today I found myself thinking about plums.


Mostly because I happened to have several of them in the house just begging to be turned into... something. There weren't enough for an actual pie, so I automatically thought of the cobbler. Plum cobbler? Never heard of it. So of course I had to try it!

Once the plums were sliced, the batter came together very easily.



The mixed batter is poured into the pan... which has been sitting in the preheating oven, allowing half a stick of butter to melt. Then the plums were set on top of the batter. But don't mix anything. You'll see the three different layers.


Plums over batter floating in melted buttery goodness. I promise this works.


See? Can't even see the plums! Actually, I am thinking it probably could have used a couple more plums... but I used all I had.

I made this while little miss was at school, and by the time I picked her up, it was all ready for our afternoon snack.


This was absolutely delicious. Little miss and I really enjoyed our snack, and when Daddy came home, he did his best to spoil his dinner with nibble after nibble...


As a side note, I just love the color of the cooked plums.



Plum Cobbler

1/4 cup butter
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 plums, pitted and sliced (you could use more - totally up to you!)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Set the butter in a 9" x 9" pan and set the pan in the oven while it preheats. This will melt the butter. Just be careful not to let the butter burn.

Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, milk and vanilla until well mixed and pour into the pan. Resist the urge to mix it together with the melted butter. Spread the plum slices over the batter. Again - don't mix anything.

Bake for 55-60 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm,,, Shelley this looks wonderful. I had some plums at home before travelling for 10 days, so I just popped them into the freezer. Maybe this would be a delicious use for them. Do you think frozen plums could make it not work?? I'm really looking forward to trying your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cobbler looks delicious, Shelley! I am suddenly having the urge to go to the store and get some plums! :) And I love the way plums look when they are baked, too, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails