Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sourdough Surprises #11 - Flatbreads

This month's Sourdough Surprises was a fun one. Sourdough, being wild yeast, is generally used as a leavening agent, to make baked goods rise. But this month we focused on flat bread. 

And, believe it or not, the choices were endless. There are so many varieties of flatbreads, and most of them can be made using sourdough. I had a lot of trouble choosing.  But when I found this recipe for sourdough tortillas and I knew I'd found my flatbread. 

The dough comes together super easily. While the recipe I found called for the dough to be made in a food processor, I prepared mine in my KitchanAid stand mixer. The resulting dough was impressively smooth. So much so that little man had some trouble keeping his hands off of it.


Honestly? That was no problem - I took advantage of his desire to help and enlisted him in the next step of the process - dividing the dough and rolling it out!


But when it came time for cooking, I took over. The tortillas cook on a hot, dry pan, and each cooks pretty quickly - about one minute per side.


And soon I had a delicious stack of tortillas ready to be turned into yummy soft tacos.


And, once again, little man had some trouble keeping his hands off...


It's a good thing the recipe made way more than I needed for dinner - I had no problem letting him snack away.

These were great, and so easy to make. So easy that I made them again. If I keep it up, I may just have to consider a tortilla press!

And now I can't wait to see what other flatbreads were made this month! So link up!




Sourdough Tortillas
(from examiner.com)

2/3 cup sourdough starter
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup very hot water

Place starter, flour, and salt in food processor or the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment. Work until combined. With machine running, slowly pour in oil first, then hot water until dough is formed and elastic. If you are using a stand mixer, you will need to switch to the dough hook once the water is incorporated. You may need a few extra tablespoons of hot water to loosen the dough up a bit. The dough is ready to roll out now, but it is best to let it rest. Cover it with a dish towel, and let it sit for about 30 minutes or so.

Divide the dough into 12 balls of equal size. Lightly flour your work surface and roll each ball with a rolling pin (starting in center and rolling outwards, turning often) to between 1/4 and 1/8 inch thickness. Place each tortilla on a DRY medium-high hot cast iron griddle or skillet. Cook for about 45 to 60 seconds on each side, or until the tortilla does not look doughy. Try not to overcook them.

Enjoy!




11 comments:

  1. Your flatbread look delicious - love the little helping hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tortillas are soveasy. I'm actually surprised that I haven't made them again since. I may do this again tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flatbread looks so good......love the little man hands:) Lynn H @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love homemade tortillas. I was torn between trying pitas and tortillas and finally went with pitas, but I'll have to try tortillas soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I want to make some tortillas...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome looking tortillas! They look so perfect! And I love Little Man getting in there to help! Too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yours turned out beautifully. Nice Job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum Shelley, those look great! I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off them either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I made tortillas too and loved them. Love your helper too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually did read this yesterday morning, and then I mixed up a batch so they could "ferment" all day until suppertime... My boys both liked them too. They're a bit more substantial than regular flour tortillas, but delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That dough looks lovely and smooth and the final tortillas look delicious. Definitely going to try these, I love the idea of fresh tortillas for lunch.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails