Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chicken, Potato and Green Bean Skillet

We've gotten a little lax about meal planning around here. Not that we haven't been planning at all, I just haven't been specific. So the other day, all I knew was that I would be having chicken. Okay, I knew the cut, too - I had to plan ahead to make sure I took the right thing out of the freezer to defrost. So I knew I'd be working with boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

But I didn't plan anything more specific than that.

So when little man went down for a nap, I had to get a bit more specific. So looked to see what else we had that looked good.

Potatoes. Onions. Fresh green beans. Yum. I can work with this.  I saw this recipe online and it inspired me to get cooking.

Well, first it inspired me to get chopping.

I chopped potatoes. And onions.


And green beans.


And chicken, too, but I am not a fan of posting photos of raw meat.

Once everything was chopped, it was time to get cooking. It was basically a process of each ingredient taking its turn in the frying pan.  Once all of the veggies were cooked, I combined them all in my big pan while I had my smaller pan going, cooking the chicken.


And then it was time to put the whole thing together.


And that was it! Despite all of the chopping and pan shuffling, it was actually super easy.

And better than that, it was delicious.


Little man gobbled up his chicken, little miss's favorite part was the potatoes, and me? I loved the whole thing all together.

Not too shabby for what was basically a punt!



Chicken, Potato and Green Bean Skillet
(based on a Land O Lakes recipe)

1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
5 medium sized potatoes (I used yukon gold)
1 pound (approximately) fresh green beans
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
garlic salt (to taste)


Roughly chop potatoes and onions. Snap the ends off of the green beans and cut them into pieces about 1 inch long.

Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add potatoes and onions, and season (to taste) with garlic salt. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are browned (about 12 to 14 minutes). Remove from skillet and set aside.

Add the chicken into the same skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, turning once, until lightly browned and no longer pink (10 to 12 minutes). Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.

Add the green beans into the same skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. With the beans still in the pan, add about 1/2 cup of water to deglaze the pan, stirring up any bits from the bottom of the pan. When the water comes to a boil, lower the temperature and cover the pan. Allow it to cook for another 5 minutes.

Return the potatoes and chicken to the pan and stir to combine everything. Cover again and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until heated through (1 to 3 minutes).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails