Monday, October 1, 2012

Balsamic Cole Slaw, A Tribute

The food blogging world is an interesting one. Like any family, there are different types of relationships. There are friends and rivalries. There are collaborations and competitions. There are misunderstandings and triumphs. But, like any family, people come together to share joys, celebrate life, and offer support each other when needed.

Within the food blogging world there are various subcommunities, several of which I am honored to be able to include myself as a member. The most recently joined (by me) of these, if you recall, is the Secret Recipe Club.  This group is a true community, and today we are coming together to honor the life of one of our members, which was cut short way too soon.

Daniel Sagara of the haggis and the herring, was someone who I wish I'd had the opportunity to know better. While we were in the same group within the SRC, I have only been a member for one month. I was, however, familiar with his blog prior to joining, and always enjoyed reading his delicious posts.

To learn a little more about Daniel, please read the beautiful eulogy given at his service by his wife Meridith.

Today, members of the Secret Recipe Club have come together, at least by blog, to honor this special member, in the best way that we can - through his recipes.

While there were many recipes I wanted to choose, I decided on this balsamic coleslaw, because it looked like a fresh, delicious take on the standard mayo-based coleslaw, and it sounded delicious.

I started with a bag of pre-shredded cabbage and carrot coleslaw mix, and then gathered my dressing ingredients.


The dressing is mixed up in a saucepan and heated until it comes to a boil.


The dressing is then poured over the cabbage and carrots and mixed together until all of the veggies are well coated.


The salad is then refrigerated for at least two hours.


I served the coleslaw as a side dish to shredded pork sandwiches, and it went beautifully.


Actually, right after that picture was taken, I piled the slaw right onto my sandwich, and that was even better!

And the next night, we served it again with barbecued honey-five-spice chicken, asian noodles and bok choy.


Either way, this was a light, fresh and delicious coleslaw which I will be making again.


To Daniel's family, I wish you peace, strength and love in this unimaginably difficult time. Thank you for sharing Daniel with the food-blogging world, where his memory will live on forever.







12 comments:

  1. I love the addition of balsamic to cole slaw here, great pick! How lucky we are to be part of such a warm community, and how sad to lose a member.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote a touching tribute post. :) I still cant get over the shock of it all... Your coleslaw looks delicious and such a great change of pace from the regular mayo-based one I usually make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy mayo-less cole slaw recipes, too and balsamic vinegar is an interesting twist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A delicious recipe and a beautiful tribute

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful dish and lovely tribute to Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tribute!! This is a great recipe, bookmarking it to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice tribute and great recipe pick. I will definitely be making this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A touching tribute Shelley. I sadly did not know Daniel but my heart goes out to his wife and family

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful recipe to honor Daniel! This looks so intriguing. I will be making this very soon! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good slaw makes any sandwich better. You're right, Daniel was taken too soon, you would've enjoyed getting to know him through SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I want to try that, love balsamic anything! Nice of you to participate in the tribute to Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A perfect recipe to honor Daniel.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails