Saturday, September 20, 2014

September Sourdough Surprises - Cornbread

I love cornbread.

With chili. With butter or jam for breakfast or snack. As a quick treat. It's just delicious.

So when Sourdough Surprises chose cornbread as the September challenge, I was super excited.

I first thought I'd make a somewhat traditional cornbread, since, well, it's so delicious.

But then I saw a really fun looking alternative called a Johnnycake.  Johnnycakes are kind of like cornmeal pancakes, cooked on a griddle, and they look like a super fun treat.  I decided to take it one step further and turn my Johnnycakes into... Johnny-waffles.

The batter comes together super easily.  And, of course, it all starts with the sourdough starter.


The starter is quickly refreshed with flour... and, in this case, cornmeal! I used more cornmeal than flour, to really kick up the cornbread inspiration.


I was a bit worried that the cornmeal would inhibit or slow the starter's ability to do its job, but it didn't seem to at all!

The rest of the ingredients are mixed in, and then, just to really ramp up the corn flavor, I added... corn kernels!


Then onto the pre-heated waffle iron...


...to produce golden delicious corn-filled goodness!


We actually made these for dinner, and I couldn't resist adding a bit of Mexican flare to these, so I sprinkled mine with shredded cheddar, then added a healthy scoop of sour cream, salsa and a some fresh avocado on top.


The results were colorful, fun, and, best of all, delicious!


So how was your sourdough cornbread experience this month?? Link up and share!





Sourdough Johnnycake Waffles
(inspired by King Arthur Flour's Corn and Scallion Sourdough Pancakes)

1/2 cup sourdough starter, fed or unfed
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup fresh/cooked or frozen/thawed corn kernels

Combine starter, flour, cornmeal and milk. Cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
To the starter mixture, add the oil, baking soda, salt and egg, stirring to combine.
Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
Fold in corn kernels.
Cook the batter in your waffle iron according to manufacturer's suggestions (regarding amount of batter and time).
You can keep these warm on a baking sheet in a low oven if you would like to serve them all at once. The batter can hold in the fridge for a day or two, as well.
Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Johnnycake waffles, brilliant! They turned out beautiful & look delicious, I love your choice of toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look like some damned good waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your waffles look great! I made cornmeal waffles a long time ago and had forgotten how much we liked them. Thanks for the reminder that I need to do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look absolutely gorgeous, Shelley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, I can't believe the corn kernels don't make it chunky and weird. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing!! I love these johnnycakes! I definitely want to make them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look amazing, definitely going to have to try them myself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails