Saturday, April 20, 2013

April Sourdough Surprises - Pasta

This month's Sourdough Surprises marks the celebration of a full year of sourdough fun.

To do so, Jenni and I thought it would be fun to go back to how it all started - with the two of us trying out a pasta recipe "together" - or, as together as two people several states apart can manage.

We had so much fun sharing our sourdough experiences, that we wanted to spread the love. And thus Sourdough Surprises was born!

What better way to celebrate than to share our first joint sourdough endeavor with the rest of the group?

Homemade pasta is always delicious.  And the sourdough version is not exception.


Easy to prepare and yummy to boot?

I'd say that's one great celebration.

Thank you so much to everyone who has joined in our sourdough adventure - I can't wait to see where this next year takes us!






Sourdough Pasta
(from Mummy, I Can Cook!)

80 grams (about 1/4 cup) sourdough starter
60 grams flour (about 1/2 cup) (I used all purpose, you can use any combination of flours you want)
1 large egg yolk (though I did wind up needing to add in some of the white, too, so you might want to be prepared to do so...)

Mix together the starter and egg yolk.
Sift the flour, then make a well in the middle. Pour the starter/yolk mixture into the well and slowly mix it together.
Knead into a ball. Continue kneading the dough until it feels smooth and springy. I needed to add in some of my egg white here to make my dough soft enough. It could be because I was measuring by volume rather than by weight.
Once you have a smooth, springy ball of dough, allow it to rest, covered, overnight.
On a well floured surface, roll your dough as thinly as you can (and is still workable) and cut the pasta to the desired shape.
Leave to dry for half an hour before boiling.
You can sprinkle the fresh pasta with flour and freeze it in a tightly sealed container or bag if you do not plan on cooking it right away.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Great challenge & congratulations on one year of Sourdough Surprises. It's so much fun & my starter would be long gone without it, so thank you for all your work!

    Your pasta looks so great - I love the shot of all those strands drying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a great challenge, Shelley! I was a surprise for me just how good the pasta was and I will definitely be doing it again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely nice to celebrate the challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for another super fun challenge Shelley! You're right, SD pasta is always delicious. The way you used a cooling rack for drying the pasta is brilliant. How come I can never think of stuff like that?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great challenge! I loved this one and it will be my go-to sourdough discard recipe. Thanks for starting this group, my starter is healthier and happier than it's ever been!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on a great year! The pasta was lovely to work with and oh so yummy! Can't wait for mote great challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious job! Your pasta looks super perfect, and I bet it was a great dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the one year:) You pasta looks great~ See you next time:) Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy pasta & Happy Anniversary! Thanks for all the Sourdough inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails