Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Boneless Pork Chops With Apple Chutney

Life has been busy recently. I keep saying that, don't I? I'm sorry - I know I haven't been so post-y recently. It's not on purpose. We still cook and bake, but it's either been for challenges, repeat recipes or, in some cases, total fails. Yup. They happen.

But I am hoping to get back on track, so I am going to start trying more new recipes to share here.

To start off, I tried a new recipe for pork chops this week. I searched Pinterest for inspiration and came across this recipe for pork chops with an apple chutney.  The ingredients looked good, the photo looked delicious - so I went for it.

It was actually really easy to prepare. The "hardest" part was the prep - chopping onions and green apples.


I then sauteed my salted and peppered pork chops over medium heat to brown them a bit.  I don't know if it's the pan I used or what, but I think I needed more heat, because my chops cooked... but never really browned. Definitely not a real sear.


The chops were then popped into the oven to finish cooking, and I cooked the chutney in the same skillet. Now, the recipe called for the chops to be browned in an oven-safe skillet, then that skillet being put directly into the hot oven. It then called for the chutney to be prepared in a saucepan. I don't have an oven-safe skillet, so I improvised... as far as breaking recipe rules goes, I figured this was only a minor infraction.


The chutney for this was made up of onions, apples, spices, raisins and apple cider vinegar.  Once it was done simmering, dinner was ready! Served over rice, the pork chops were topped with the chutney, and dinner was served.


I really liked how these pork chops came out - the simple non-sear (yeah, have to work on that) and finish in the oven cooked them perfectly.  The chutney, however, didn't go over as well with the family. While I thought it paired pretty well with the pork, the overall consensus was too "tangy" (according to little miss), so I want to try this again, using apple cider instead of apple cider vinegar.  But if tangy is your thing (as I said - I thought it worked!), then I really think you'll enjoy this recipe.


Boneless Pork Chops With Apple Chutney
(slightly adapted from Martha Stewart)


4 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
4 boneless center-cut pork chops (1 1/4 pounds), cut 3/4 inch thick
1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
4 green apples (such as Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of pork chops; add to skillet. Saute until golden brown, about 2 minutes; flip. Cook 2 minutes more.
Transfer chops to a roasting pan (or use an oven-safe skillet). Roast until meat is cooked through and registers 155 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 5-10 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
While the meat is roasting, in a large saucepan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onion. Saute over medium heat until translucent and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add apples and saute 4 minutes more. Add vinegar, raisins, ginger and mustard. Stir well to combine; cover. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until apples are very tender but hold their shape, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve apples over pork chops.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been posting a lot either lately.... this looks great!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails